Licensed Professional Counselor in Private Practice
Raleigh, NC, December 2001 to Present
Department of Counselor Education,
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
- Instruction and supervision for “Internship in School Counseling”
January 2002 to May 2002
- Instruction of “Career Counseling and Development”
January 2003 to May 2003
Disaster Relief Mental Health Volunteer
Triangle Area Red Cross, Raleigh, NC
October, 2001- Present
- On-call as needed for state and national disasters, however, due to
private practice will not participate on location unless a large scale
event, but will provide pro bono services in my office for victims.
- Provided mental health services for clients and American Red Cross
staff affected by the NY World Trade Center disaster (November 11-25,
Edenton St. Community Mental Health Center, Raleigh, NC
June 2001 to August 2002
- Provide counseling for clients who have limited resources and no
North Carolina State University
University Career Center, Raleigh, NC,
September/October 2000, February/March 2001, September/October 2001, April
- Facilitate Career Direction Workshops
Wake County School District, Raleigh, NC
February 2001 to February 2002.
- Substitute teaching at the middle school and high school level.
Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS,
August 1997 - May 2000
- Provided counseling services for post secondary and graduate students
using a brief counseling model for academic, career, and personal issues.
- Co-facilitated eating disorders group and academic enhancement groups.
- Taught two courses of "University Experience" covering
topics such as time management, study skills, test taking, diversity,
stress management, relationships, accessing resources, career development
- Taught “Major Decisions” a six-week career development
course for one undergraduate credit at the Academic Career Information
- Participated in a special project involving stress assessment and
biofeedback at the KSU Recreation Center.
- Worked with individual clients using temperature and EEG biofeedback
and provided relaxation strategies and techniques.
- Provided assessment and testing using the Strong Interest Inventory,
Campbell Interest and Skills Inventory, Kolb Learning Styles, College
Learning Effectiveness, 16pf, Beck Depression Scale, Myers-Briggs Type
Indicator, DISCOVER, SIGI Values Inventory and Self-Directed Search.
USD 383, Manhattan Area Technical College, Manhattan, KS
August 1994 - June 1997
- Provided personal and career counseling for student body of approximately
- Supported special need population with distribution of study skill
packet to new students and specialized orientation tours and presentations
for prospective students.
- Supported single parent program and distribution of resource information.
Vocational Special Needs Coordinator/Transition Counselor
USD 383, Manhattan High School, Manhattan, KS
August 1991 - June 1994
- Implemented and coordinated a three-year, Transition Grant for approximately
125 special needs students.
- Provided transition counseling and Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- Provided individual career counseling.
- Provided parent support and resource information.
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
Social Rehabilitation Service of the State of Kansas, Manhattan, KS,
August 1989 - July 1991
- Provided counseling for clients, families, and others in adjustment
- Developed and monitored rehabilitation goals.
- Collected and analyzed diagnostic information to determine the nature
of disabilities and limitations.
- Addressed the spectrum of services needed to sustain employment:
housing, transportation, medical care, training, legal advocacy, and
- Established and maintained liaison with community resources and professionals.
Top of Page
- American Counseling Association (ACA), 1987 to present
- National Career Development Association, 1991 to present
- American Association for Career Education (AACE), 1991 to present
- American Psychological Association (APA), 1998 to present
Division: Vocational Psychology
- American Academy of Bereavement an affiliate of The Center for Hospice
& Palliative Care, 2003
- North Carolina Counseling Association, 2000 to present
- NC Career Development Association, 2000 to present
- NC Association of Counselor Educators and Supervisors, 1999 to present
- Licensed Professional Counselors Association of North Carolina, 2001
- Kansas Counseling Association, 1994 to 2000
Top of Page
Thought Filtering When Others Don't Understand
Presentation at Compassionate Friends Support Group
Assessing the Psychological Resources and Stress Levels of Career
Presentation at the North Carolina Counseling Association Conference
Perceived Sources of Stress and Coping Behaviors of First Year Graduate
Co-presentation of research at Kansas State University Graduate Student
Awarded first-place in the social science division
Understanding Cultural Influence in Career Development of International
Co-presentation at the American College Personnel Association Conference
Career Counseling International Chinese Students Attending U.S.
Colleges and Universities
National Career Development Association International Conference
Career Counseling International Chinese Students
Kansas Counseling Association Conference
Student Survey Measuring the Importance of Certain Classroom Characteristics
Co-presentation at the Kansas State University Counseling and Educational
Counselors Preparing for the 21st Century: Internet and the World
Co-presentation at the Kansas Counseling Association Conference
Females in Non-traditional Occupations
Onaga High School
Vocational Education as a part of Transition Services for Special
Manhattan USD 383 Paraprofessional In-service
Use of Career Portfolios in a Job Skills Preparation Course
Kansas Association of Vocational Education Special Needs Personnel
Transition- What Teachers Can Do
Learning Disabilities Association Conference
Designing a Career Portfolio for Your Transitioning Students
Kansas Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Conference
Top of Page
Cross Cultural Experience
- Volunteer for North Carolina State University’s Office of International
Scholar and Student Services. Participated in the International Friendship
Program and served as a group leader during International Student Orientation.
September 2000 - 2002.
- Travel to Seville, Spain and York, England, 2002
- Travel in Canada and Mexico, 2000
- Travel in Peoples Republic of China: Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, and
- American Field Service (AFS) board member and host parent, 1993 -
Top of Page
Civic and Community Involvement
- Wings Mentoring Program for young women. October 2003 - Present.
- Volunteer Biofeedback sessions for Wake County Hospice staff. August
2003 - Present.
- Volunteer at R. J. Raulston Arboretum of North Carolina State University:
Garden and participate in other volunteer activities. July 2000 - August
- Docent for Kansas State University Beach Art Museum. 1995 - 1997.
Top of Page