Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselors (LCMHCs) are trained in the provision of counseling and therapy. LCMHCs complete Master or Doctoral degrees, are nationally certified and state licensed. They clock 3000 hours of supervised clinical practice and are guided by the American Counseling Association Code of Ethics.
From childhood through late adulthood, there are times when we might need help addressing challenges that cause us emotional distress or make us feel overwhelmed. We can benefit from help and support as we strive to master these challenges. A counselor can help you identify your problems and assist you in finding the best ways to cope with the situation.
Some indicators of when you should seek counseling are:
- When you are having difficulties at work or at home
- Others mention that you have changed abruptly or radically
- Anxiety is keeping you from enjoying or accomplishing everyday activities.
- You are in the midst of a life transition and not sure the path your want to take
- You dislike your job and feel like it is an effort to go to work
- You find yourself using alcohol to calm yourself
- You feel sad, depressed, or have suicidal thoughts
- Dramatically gaining or losing weight
- Having difficulty making decisions or prioritizing what's most important in your life
- Missing appointments, isolating from others
- Don't like how you look or who you are
- Normal emotions exhibited to an extreme degree
- Sleep is disrupted and you feel you can no longer manage your stress
- There is not a balance between your mind, body, and spirit
- You are unsure of what type of career you want to have
- You are sleeping more than 8 hours and have difficulty starting your day
- You are retiring and not sure what is next
Most important: trust your instincts. If you've thought about counseling, then you should.